Pages

9.07.2013

Easy & Delicious Homemade Tomato Soup



Easy. Delicious. Those are two key words in my cooking vocabulary, since I tend to mess things up when something is too complicated and because I HATE spending time on something that ends up being mediocre or terrible. Now, hopefully if you take the time to make this, you'll like it. Joey ate four cups of it the other night, and I personally really like it... so the "delicious" part is coming from us :)

I cannot find the original recipe that I used and I feel really bad about it. I'm also kind of sad because it was from a really fun blog that I had bookmarked on my old computer, and now I have a new computer... and you know how that goes. So here is the recipe, borrowed and altered, which makes enough for two normal people or one Joey Johnson-- I usually double it :)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons salted butter
2 tablespoons chopped onion
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
DASH EACH: garlic powder, basil, oregano, thyme
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (I highly recommend MUIR GLEN ORGANICS brand; their cans are BPA-free. You can find them even at Super Walmart!)
2 cups milk

1) Cook onions in butter until soft. I use low heat and a lid and stir them occasionally so they don't burn!
2) Mix flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and other seasonings in a bowl. Add to butter & onion mixture and stir to form a paste.
3) As soon as the above ingredients are mixed, add the can of tomatoes, and bring to a boil. (I think it has to boil so the tomatoes get soft?) The other day I substituted the can of tomatoes for 2 cups of fresh diced tomatoes and it worked out really well. I also added a bunch of fresh basil. This is a good basic recipe to experiment with.
4) Add milk to mixture. Heat & stir until bubbly and thickened.
5) ENJOY! So easy. So foolproof. I hope you never buy canned tomato soup again :)

P.S. I made that bread too... but that's a recipe for another day!

No comments: